Thomas J. Salerno is the senior shareholder in the Arizona office, and a member of the firm’s Business Restructuring & Bankruptcy Department. He has been involved in restructurings in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Switzerland and the Czech and Slovak Republics. In addition, Mr. Salerno teaches Comparative International Insolvency at the University of Salzburg.
Mr. Salerno has extensive experience representing distressed companies, acquirers and creditors in financial restructurings and bankruptcy proceedings, pre- and post-bankruptcy workouts, and corporate recapitalizations. He has represented clients in diverse industries such as casinos, resort hotels, real estate, high-tech manufacturing, electricity generation, agribusiness, construction, healthcare, airlines and franchised fast-food operations. Mr. Salerno has also served as an expert witness on U.S. insolvency law in litigation in Germany.
Mr. Salerno has represented parties in insolvency proceedings in 30 states and five countries. He headed the U.S. delegation to the Czech Republic in advising the Czech Government in the historic revamping of its bankruptcy law, which took effect in January 2008. Mr. Salerno has also advised on revamping insolvency laws in the Dominican Republic and Costa Rica. He is a member of the UNCITRAL working group on its Insolvency Law Reform Project, completed in early 2007.
Mr. Salerno served as a director of the American Bankruptcy Institute, where he also served on the executive committee, and formerly was a director of the American Bankruptcy Board of Certification, Inc. He is a past chair of the Bankruptcy Section of the State Bar of Arizona and a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy.
- Acting as lead counsel for the landmark Phoenix Coyotes Chapter 11 case.
- Restructuring counsel for Snyder’s Drug Stores, Inc. involving a nationwide chain of retail drug stores.
- Restructuring counsel for Unison HealthCare, Inc., an NYSE nationwide owner/operator of nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
- Restructuring counsel for Rural/Metro Corp., an NYSE owner/operator of emergency fire and ambulance services for counties and municipalities.
- Restructuring counsel to Industrias Nucleares do Brasil S/A, the Brazilian nuclear regulatory agency, in insolvency proceedings in the United States and Switzerland.
Mr. Salerno was named as one of 12 Outstanding Bankruptcy Attorneys in 1998 and 2000 by Turnarounds & Workouts, a newsletter published by Beard Group, Inc. in Washington DC, and is a member of the select group of insolvency professionals listed in the K&A Restructuring Professionals Registry. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 1993 and was selected by his peers for inclusion in Southwest Super Lawyers, a distinction honoring the top 5 percent of lawyers in the region. Mr. Salerno is also recognized by Az Business Leaders in the area of Bankruptcy Law. In 2009, he was selected as Best Lawyers’Phoenix Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Lawyer of the Year and as Best Lawyers’ Phoenix Bankruptcy Litigation Lawyer of the Year in 2014. Mr. Salerno was also one of three Arizona-based lawyers to be listed in The International Who’s Who of Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers. Mr. Salerno is an “AV/Preeminent Attorney®” as rated by Martindale-Hubbell®.
- Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law – 1993-2014
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation – Bankruptcy – 2011-2014
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year: Bankruptcy, Phoenix – 2010
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year: Litigation – Bankruptcy, Phoenix – 2014
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year: 2009
- Southwest Super Lawyers, 2007-2014
- The International Who’s Who of Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers, 2009
- The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, 2009 and 2011
- Lawdragon’s Leading Lawyers in America, 2010
- Who’s Who Legal 100, 2012
- “AV/Preeminent Attorney®” as rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Past Director and Executive Committee Member
- American Bankruptcy Board of Certification, Inc., Past Director
- Bankruptcy Section of the State Bar of Arizona, Past Chair
- American College of Bankruptcy Fellow