Mr. Higgins is a shareholder in the firm’s Administrative, Gaming & Governmental Affairs and Corporate & Real Estate Departments. He primarily practices in the areas of gaming, licensing and regulatory law, governmental affairs, and corporate transactional work.
Mr. Higgins’ regularly appears before the Nevada Gaming Commission and Gaming Control Board. He also represents clients before other state regulatory boards and commissions and local government bodies on various administrative law, land use and zoning issues. Mr. Higgins frequently lobbies at the Nevada State Legislature and the US Congress on behalf of clients.
Mr. Higgins’ representative clients include, among others: Cox Communications; Terrible Herbst, Inc.; Golden Gaming, Inc.; Affinity Gaming, LLC; Olympia Companies; Afton Chemicals; National Theatre Owners Association; Bio Diesel of Las Vegas; Nevada State College; Reno Sparks Convention & Visitors Authority; and America West Homes.
Mr. Higgins previously served as Executive Vice President – General Counsel for Herbst Gaming, Inc., a multi-jurisdictional gaming company from 1993-2010. His duties involved regular interaction with the Nevada Gaming Control Board and Commission, Clark County Commission and various local municipal governments throughout Nevada, as well as both the Missouri Gaming Commission and Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission.
- Successfully orchestrated final approval for a national communications client of a multi-year technology agreement with the Las Vegas Convention & Visitors Authority
- Participated on behalf of numerous clients in the settlement, with the Nevada Tax Commission & Nevada Department of Taxation, on the complimentary meals tax issue with the Governor’s office, Nevada legislative leadership and various other interested parties
- Assisted in the development and passage of legislation creating a Nevada film tax credit program on behalf of convention authority
- Represented a gaming client in the revision of county code provisions dealing with licensing standards
- Worked on labeling requirements for gasoline pumps for a national client before the Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Lobbied US Congress and federal agencies for a gaming client regarding off-reservation gaming issues
- International Association of Gaming Advisors, Member and Past Board of Trustees Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Clark County Bar Association, Member
- State of Nevada Problem Gambling Advisory Committee, Former Member
- State of Nevada Gaming Policy Committee, Former Member