John P. Desmond is a shareholder and the firm's Reno Litigation group leader. He focuses his practice in the areas of commercial litigation and appellate work. He regularly represents and counsels clients in commercial and business litigation matters involving contract disputes, buy/sell agreements and disputes over intellectual property. He has also represented physician groups in regard to compliance and contractual matters. His representation of clients includes a significant number of matters before the Nevada Supreme Court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented a full service securities broker dealer firm in a case of first impression in which the Nevada Supreme Court recognized the enforceability of arbitration clauses in the employment context. Kindred v. A.G. Edwards, 116 Nev. 405,996 P.2d 903 (2000)
- Obtained dismissal of a false claims complaint seeking damages of nearly $100 million, the first case argued under Nevada’s qui tam statute, before the Nevada Supreme Court. International Game Technology, Inc. v. Second Judicial District Court, State of Nevada, 127 P.3d 1088 (Nev. 2006)
- Represented client in a case of first impression to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals involving the First Amendment rights of anonymous bloggers on the Internet (2010).
- Obtained a judgment for the largest gas station and convenience store operator in Nevada in excess of $100 million on claims for fraud and misrepresentation after an eight-week trial, with the court awarding both compensatory and punitive damages.
- Successfully represented a large manufacturer on a certified question to the Nevada Supreme Court as to whether Nevada recognizes a cause of action for medical monitoring in products liability actions.
- Exxon Mobil
- Google, Inc.
- State of Nevada
- Cal PERS
Before joining the firm, Mr. Desmond was a shareholder at the Nevada law firm of Jones Vargas for many years.
- Mr. Desmond was active in leading the opposition effort that lead to the defeat of the statewide judicial term limits initiative in 1997. He received recognition from the State Bar of Nevada and the Nevada District Judges Association for his efforts.
- Mr. Desmond currently serves on several Nevada Supreme Court Commissions, as well as the Supreme Court Bench Bar Committee. He is currently president of the Board of Directors of Washoe Legal Services, past president of the Washoe County Bar Association and is a member of the Board of Bar Examiners for the State Bar of Nevada.
- BV® Certification Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Master, Bruce R. Thompson Chapter of the American Inns of Court
- Washoe County Bar Association, Past President
- State Bar of Nevada, Board of Examiners
- Washoe Legal Services, President, Board of Directors
- Reno Cancer Foundation, Board of Directors
- Nevada Supreme Court Jury Improvement Commission, Member
- Nevada Supreme Court Bench-Bar Committee, Member
- Nevada Supreme Court Statewide Access to Justice Committee, Member
In the News
Gordon Silver shareholder, John P. Desmond, quoted in the Reno Gazette-Journal's article entitled "Councilman Dortch responds to fellow candidate's petition; possible Supreme Court hearing on Reno mayor term-limits nears" on November 16, 2013.
Several attorneys from the Las Vegas office of Gordon Silver were recently recognized in “Mountain States Super Lawyers” for the 2013 magazine’s annual survey of lawyers.
We are pleased to announce that 20 of our lawyers have been selected for inclusion in the 2013 edition of Mountain States Super Lawyers®.
Of note, four of our shareholders are in the Top 100 List: Gerald Gordon, Jeffrey Silver, Michael Feder and Eric Hone. Shareholder Erika Pike Turner is included on the Top 50 Women List.
Gordon Silver announces that twenty-one of our attorneys received honors as Nevada Legal Elite for 2013. The firm has 15 attorneys featured on "Nevada's Top Attorneys" list and 5 attorneys on the "Best Up and Coming Attorneys" lists. Partner Michael Feder was one of three top-vote getters.
An informative interview with John Desmond, a shareholder with Gordon Silver's Reno office.
featuring John Desmond