Ms. Craft, an “AV/Preeminent Attorney®” as rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, is a shareholder in and the chairman of the firm’s Intellectual Property and Entertainment & Sports Departments. She practices primarily in the areas of domestic and international trademark and copyright prosecution, licensing and enforcement. Ms. Craft consults with clients in identifying various protectable aspects of the clients’ products, services and concepts, and in developing and managing their intellectual property portfolios. She also resolves trademark, copyright, and domain name disputes, including the resolution of disputes over contested trademarks before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and appeals before the Copyright Office and enforces clients’ intellectual property rights on the Internet.
In addition to her prosecution practice, Ms. Craft drafts and negotiates a variety of agreements in the intellectual property, entertainment, and sports fields, including endorsement and personal services agreements and personal management agreements for athletes, artists and entertainers, option and purchase agreements for motion pictures and television shows, production and collaboration agreements for live stage shows and licensing and merchandising agreements.
Representative Matters Include:
- Securing, Enforcing and Licensing IP — Assisting various companies, including, casino, nightclub, restaurant and bar owners and operators, and real estate developers and management companies in clearing title for property names, securing the rights associated with the names, licensing their intellectual property to others, and enforcing their rights against unauthorized users.
- Licensing Entertainment Rights — Assisting production companies and artists in the licensing and distribution of their rights in live and recorded musical and dance performances, television shows, and sporting and entertainment events by drafting production agreements, talent agreements, and rights of publicity and location releases, securing rights to perform music and other recordings at events, and registering the trademarks and copyrights embodied in the performances, shows and events.
- Endorsement and Sponsorship Agreements — Assisting talent and entertainment and sport companies with licensing their publicity rights and intellectual property to others for merchandising, endorsement and sponsorship purposes and offering private label products and services.
- Clearing Title for Creative Works — Assisting authors and other artists in clearing title for books and other creative works.
- Registration of Trademarks in Foreign Jurisdictions — Working with a network of foreign counsel to register trademarks in the European Union, Canada, Mexico, Macau, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, South Africa, Russia, China, Hong Kong, Thailand, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, New Zealand, Australia, Belize and elsewhere.
Representative Clients Include:
Kardashian and Jenner family, Sylvester Stallone, Ultimate Fighting Championship, Shaquille O’Neal, Shane Victorino, Alex Rodriguez, Amar’e Stoudemire, Lamar Odom, Matt Barnes, Kyrie Irving, Gold & Silver Pawn Shop, Xyience, and others
- Nationally Ranked for Most Trademark Filings — Ranked three years in a row (2006, 2007 and 2008) for the most trademark filings with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. She was ranked in:
Q3 of 2006: 1st in Nevada and 3rd in the nation
Q1 of 2007: 1st in Nevada and 21st in the nation
Q4 of 2007: 1st in Nevada and 1st in the nation
Q1 of 2008: 1st in Nevada and 23rd in the nation
- Contributed to Top 40 in Nation Ranking — Contributed to the firm ranking in the top 40 in the nation in 2007 and top 30 in 2008 and 2009 for the most trademark filings.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers of America — Listed in 2013 and 2014 for Trademark Law, Las Vegas.
- Nevada Business Magazine as a Legal Elite — Selected by her peers as one of the top attorneys in Nevada. Ms. Craft is among only 1% of Nevada attorneys to be named as such in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- Vegas INC: Top Lawyer — Recognized in Vegas INC as a Top Lawyer.
- Rising Star by Super Lawyers — Named in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine. Selections were also based on peer reviews and only a select few of Nevada attorneys are named a Rising Star each year.
- In Business Las Vegas — Named by In Business Las Vegas as one of the top "40 Under 40" business leaders in Southern Nevada in 2010. Criteria for being selected included community service, entrepreneurial spirit and impact on their respective industries. The honorees were selected from various industries, not exclusive of just the legal field.
- "Star Lawyer" in Nevada by Benchmark — Selected in 2009 as 1 of only 6 "Star Lawyers" in Nevada by Benchmark. Selections were based on consistent positive feedback and recommendations by both clients and peers.
- AV/Preeminent Attorney® as rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- American Bar Association’s Intellectual Property and Entertainment Sections, Member
- State Bar of Nevada’s Technology and Intellectual Property Section, Member
- Clark County Bar Association, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Member
- Grand Slam For Children hosted by The Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation, Volunteer
Ms. Craft has successfully represented:
- Andre Agassi in a trademark infringement action against Target over the use of the AGASSI name on footwear.
- Stefanie Graf in a cybersquatting and trademark infringement matter regarding a third party’s registration of her name in a domain name address
- Shaquille O’Neal in in a trademark infringement against a third party over the use of the SHAQTUS mark and character.
- Manzen dba Xyience in a trademark infringement action against Pom Wonderful over the use of the XENERGY BLU POM name on energy drinks.
TRADEMARK, COPYRIGHT & INTERNET MATTERS
Ms. Craft has also handled trademark, copyright and internet matters for:
- The entire Kardashian and Jenner Family
- Sylvester Stallone
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Shaquille O’Neal
- Shane Victorino
- Alex Rodriguez
- Amar’e Stoudemire
- Lamar Odom
- Matt Barnes
- Kyrie Irving
- Gold & Silver Pawn Shop
AGREEMENTS & IP COUNSELING
In addition to the clients referenced above, Ms. Craft has negotiated and drafted various agreements and provided general counsel and intellectual property counsel services to the following types of clients:
- Hotel and Casinos – both privately owned and publicly traded
- Entertainment Production Companies
- Apparel Companies
- Cosmetic Companies
- Broadcasting Companies
- Magazines and Newspapers
- Nightclubs & Restaurants
- Real Estate Developers
In the News
Gordon Silver is pleased to announce that 19 of our lawyers have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of Mountain States Super Lawyers®. In addition, 11 of our lawyers have been selected as Rising Stars.
A Q&A guide to Nevada laws protecting trademarks. This Q&A addresses state laws governing trademark registration, infringement, dilution, counterfeiting, unfair competition and deceptive trade practices. By Jennifer Ko Craft and Elias P. George
A Q&A guide to Nevada right of publicity laws. This Q&A addresses the types of persons and aspects of identity protected by the right of publicity, remedies for violations of the right, defenses to right of publicity claims, personal jurisdiction and choice of law considerations, and transfer and licensing of the right in the state of Nevada. By Jennifer Ko Craft
Gordon Silver was listed in the Top 5 law firms who most often represented clients in patent cases filed in Nevada in 2010-2013. Information listed was based on data available in the Lex Machina database as of January 2014.
Gordon Silver is pleased to announce that nine of our lawyers have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers®.
Shareholder and department chair Jennifer Ko Craft discusses intellectual property law, her areas of strength, secrets to success, and what is challenging and most interesting about the practice of intellectual property law.
Shareholders, Christine Bricker and Jennifer Ko Craft quoted in Vegas INC article discussing the changing legal landscape for Las Vegas law. Hot areas included were real estate and intellectual property law.
This informative article covers the differences between marks, copyrights and patents; how to obtain one of these marks; the costs involved and duration of coverage; when to file for at state mark versus a Federal mark. Originally published in Nevada Lawyer, November 2006, this article contains valuable information. By Jennifer Ko Craft
Gordon Silver announces that twenty-one of our attorneys received honors as Nevada Legal Elite for 2013. The firm has 15 attorneys featured on "Nevada's Top Attorneys" list and 5 attorneys on the "Best Up and Coming Attorneys" lists. Partner Michael Feder was one of three top-vote getters.
click here for more articles
Ten attorneys from Gordon Silver have been recognized by Best Lawyers for high peer reviews.